OnePlus 6: Unlock Bootloader | Flash TWRP | Root | Nandroid & EFS Backup & More !!
Hey Guys in this post I’m going to show you how to Unlock Bootloader and flash custom Recover like TWRP recovery also I will show in this post how you can root OnePlus 6.
First I will recommend you to Download the latest update.
Here is How: Settings > System Updates > Download & Install the latest available
This tutorial is divided into 3 Steps
1. Unlocking the Bootloader
2. Installing a Custom Recovery (TWRP)
3. Enabling Root Access
All Important Files to Download
- Download the ADB For Windows here
- Run the .exe file downloaded from above as Administrator.
- Press ‘Y’ every time the installer asks for.
- Continue Driver Installation.
Now, ADB and Fastboot have been installed on your PC.
NOTE: Make sure Your phone has atleast 60% battery remaining
Unlocking Bootloader will wipe all the data, so Backup all the data into safe place like in your computer.
Unlocking Bootloader on OnePlus 6
- First of all go into Setting, go into About phone.
- Tap on Build Number 7 Times, this will enable developer options.
- Go Back and go to developer options
- Tap on Enable OEM Unlocking. Select yes
- Scroll down and tap on Advanced Reboot.
- Hold the power button for few seconds, select reboot and select bootloader
- Connect your phone with your computer with a USB c cable
- open a command prompt window on the desktop (Shift + Right Click -> Open Command Window here or the powershell) and type:
you will see your device is listed in CMD.
- Now enter the second command which is “fastboot oem unlock” to unlock the bootloader on your phone, and this will wipe all your data which is presently in the phone.
fastboot oem unlock
- Press the enter button and you will see two option on your Oneplus 6 “YES” or “NO”
- Select “YES” by navigating with volume button and power button.
- this will unlock the bootloader and this will erase the phone data completely.
- OnePlus 6 will automatically reboot into the system.
Flash Custom Recovery (TWRP) on OnePlus 6
Download the TWRP Here: TWRP
Again Enable USB Debugging, Enable OEM Unlocking, Enable Advanced Reboot
Download all the files, place SuperSU or Magisk on Device Internal Memory and TWRP.img on your PC
- Now unzip the TWRP folder on your desktop. Put boot.img, root.zip, TWRP-BLUE-FIX.zip, and TWRPWorkingInstaller.zip on phone memory.
- Switch Off the OnePlus 6
- Hold the Volume up and Power button to boot into fastboot mode.
- Now we will flash twrp recovery which we had downloaded.
- Write a command on CMD or PowerShell
- Once the TWRP is flashed. Boot your phone into bootloader mode. Press Volume Down + Power button together until you see the recovery.
- Decrypt using your lock screen passcode.
- TWRP will boot in Chinese (change to English): Boot into recovery through bootloader, 3rd row to the right is Settings, pick the globe and switch to English.
- Now flash these files one by one on your phone.
- Flash boot.img via TWRP (Tap Install, Select Install Image from below and Locate the boot.img file)
- Flash TWRPWorkingInstaller.zip
- Flash TWRP-BLUE-FIX.zip
NOTE: DO NOT BOOT IN OS JUST YET & CONTINUE TO THE ROOTING POST
Download the SuperSU Here: SuperSU
Root OnePlus 6 Via SuperSU
- Boot into TWRP Recovery and allow system modifications.
- Swipe right and enable modifications.
- Select your preferred Language, Tap “Never show this screen boot again,” and Swipe allow modification.
- Navigate to Install and select SuperSU Beta Or Magisk Beta to root OnePlus 6.
- Swipe to confirm the flash
- Reboot System
How to install Magisk and Root OnePlus 6
2. Now transfer all these files to your OnePlus 6 internal memory and remember the location of these files.
3. Now it’s time to boot your phone in TWRP custom recovery to install the magisk and root the phone.
4. Now from the recovery select Install from the menu and select the Magisk zip.
5. Once done, reboot System.
6. Once your phone is booted. Install the Magisk Manager apk on your phone.
7. If you are facing some problem with the application, then boot your phone in recovery and flash the Magisk uninstaller. This will remove all the magisk file from your OnePlus 6.
How to make Nandroid Backup in OnePlus 6
Note: Remove all the Lockscreen and face Lock also.
To Create Nandroid Backup:
1. Boot into TWRP Recovery.
2. Go to Backup Menu and select all the listed partitions.
3. Name the Backup if needed (Optional)
4. Swipe to take Backup.
This process should take 4 to 8 minutes depending on the size of data.
5. Reboot System when done.
Backup Location: TWRP Folder /sdcard/TWRP/BACKUPS